lunes, 7 de marzo de 2011

The Cherry Orchard Act III - Triumph

Victory is something that everyone likes to have. After a constant struggle Lopakhin got what he wanted. Most of the people have a lot of pride when the win something like the pride Lopakhin showed in this scene: "I bought it! Kindly wait a moment, ladies and gentlemen, my head is swinging, I can`t talk...." (III. 377). The way Lopakhin talks is kind of over-reacting. From the beginning of the play he knew he was going to buy the Cherry Orchard and he gives an enormous speech telling everyone how fortunate he is of having the orchard. Here he is very ironic and mean to Andreyevna when he says: "Lord! God in heaven! The Cherry Orchard is mine! Tell me I`m drunk, out of my mind, that I imagined it..." (III. 377) He wants everyone to know that he bought it and is telling Andreyevna -I knew it, I told you I was going to buy it- in other words, when he says: "Why didn`t you listen to me, why? My poor friend, there`s no turning back now." (III,378) to Andreyevna.

Lopakhin`s attitude is also a little intimidating and spontanious at the same time towards Andreyevna. At the begining he seems mysterious about who bought the Cherry Orchard: "It`s sold ... I bought it." (III. 376-377) in this quote he is very mysteroius and does not want to make a big deal out of it. Then, spontaniously he makes a big deal out of it when he starts saying: " What`s happened? Musicians, play so I can hear you! Let everything be as I want it! Here comes the new master, owner of the cherry orchard!" (III. 378). Chekhov portrayed him live a self cenered person who only cared about himself.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario